Courtesy of the Automotive Service Association
The following simple and inexpensive preventive checks will greatly extend the life of the vehicle, ensure safer operation and even benefit the environment.
Always consult your owner's manual for individual service schedules because maintenance requirements vary by manufacturer.
- Always consult your owner's manual, but a good rule of thumb is to have the oil filter changed regularly - every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.
- Have all fluids checked, including brake, power steering, transmission/transaxle, windshield washer solvent and antifreeze. These fluids play a large role in the safety and performance of the vehicle.
- Check tire inflation. Under-inflated tires can result in a loss of fuel efficiency. This is the least expensive form of preventive and safety maintenance. Tires should be checked once a month.
- Keep your engine tuned. A fouled spark plug or plugged/restricted fuel injector can reduce fuel efficiency by as much as 30 percent.
- Have the chassis lubricated frequently. This step extends the life of the moving components of the vehicle's suspension system.
- Check battery cables and posts for corrosion and clean them as needed. The battery fluid also should be checked and filled if it is low, unless it is a maintenance-free battery.
- Have the lighting system checked frequently, including headlights, turn signals, and brake and taillights.
- Check windshield washer blades for cracks, tears and windshield contact. Replace them at least once a year, or sooner if streaking begins.
- Inspect engine belts regularly. Worn belts will affect the engine performance. Look for cracks and missing sections or segments.
- Have the air filtration system checked frequently. The air filter should be checked every other oil change for clogging or damage. This system ensures that the vehicle is performing at its peak condition.
|Service Interval Schedule:|
Vehicle System or Component
Check Every 3,000 Miles
I just met Augustin, and he really took good care of me. Replaced the damaged parts that were causing a vibration in my Dodge Ram. He took it for a test drive and made some recommendations for service. Great service, honest, friendly, and very reasonably priced. Thank you! I highly recommend this shop.
We were very thankful to have found Cruz Auto Repair on a late Saturday afternoon after the heater hose in our car sprung a leak on the interstate and leaked engine coolant everywhere. Augustin was able to fit us into his shop immediately and replaced the components right there while we waited, staying late past his normal closing time to ensure we'd be able to get home that evening. He was very down-to-earth, knew what he was doing, and charged a very reasonable rate for the work performed.
I had a master cylinder replaced on my Toyota. Efficient and honest service. It is my newly discovered, go to garage, when I do not have time or the place to work on my own car.